The Original Batman gaurding Gotham City? This was shot in St John The Devine Catherdral in NYC. Just an amazing place – reminded us of Rome!
In 1887 Bishop Henry Codman Potter of the Episcopal Diocese of NY called for a cathedral to rival St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Manhattan. A 11.5-acre property, on which the Leake and Watts Orphan Asylum had stood, was purchased by deed for the cathedral in 1891. After an open competition, a design by the New York firm ofGeorge Lewis Heins and C. Grant LaFarge in a Brzantine-Romanesque style was accepted the next year.
Construction on the cathedral was begun with the laying of the cornerstone on December 27, 1892, St John’s Day when Bishop Henry Potter hit the stone three times with a mallet and said “Other foundation can no man lay, than that is laid which is Jesus Christ.”. The foundations were completed at enormous expense, largely because bedrock was not struck until the excavation had reached 72 feet (22 m). The first services were held in the crypt, under the crossing in 1899. The Ardolino brothers from Torre di Nocelli, Italy, did much of the stone carving work on the statues designed by the English sculptor John Angel. After the large central dome made of Guastavio tile was completed in 1909, the original design was changed to a Gothic design.] Increasing friction after the premature death of Heins in 1907 ultimately led the Trustees to dismiss the surviving architect, Christopher Grant LaFarge, and hire the noted Gothic Revival architect Ralph Adams Cram to design the nave and “Gothicize” what LaFarge had already built. www.kerstenbeck.com