Leathernecks at Sea, San Diego
Marine Corps Aviation first arrived at Miramar in December 1940 with the arrival of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. In March 1943 the Marine Corps established Marine Corps Air Depot Camp Kearny, later renamed Marine Corps Air Depot Miramar. In 1945, the Marine Corps artillery training at Camp Elliott was combined with the air depot and designated Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. Today, MCAS Miramar is home of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, the Aviation Combat Element of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force.