Gas Lamp Quarter
In 1867, entrepreneur Alonzo Horton built a new downtown near the water and soon, the area was booming. Gamblers and prostitutes moved in.
The legendary (but by then retired) Old West sheriff Wyatt Earp ran three gambling halls here. Over the years, commerce moved toward Market Street and all that remained was a red-light district known as the Stingaree. The Gaslamp District languished for many years before its current renaissance.www.kerstenbeck.com (Copyright 2011 Kerstenbeck Photographic Art)