Ford Bonus Built
This is a continuation of the “Adventures of Kathleen” in deep Texas. On the expanse of her Uncle’s Ranch she discovered the rusty beauty…ready to go Camping, complete with Frying Pans and Portable Toilet! This one was also equipped with a “See Clear Windshield”. She dared not get closer…one must be aware of Rattlesnakes! Now a bit about the Truck!
The first F-Series truck (known as the Ford Bonus-Built) was introduced in 1948, replacing the company’s previous car-based pickup line. It was a modern-looking truck with a flat, one-piece windshield and integrated headlights. Options were the “See-Clear” windshield washer (operated by foot plunger), passenger side windshield wiper & sun visor, and passenger side tail light. The F-1 truck was also available with additional chrome and two horns as an option.
Design of the F-Series truck changed little from 1948 to 1952. From 1948 to 1950, the grill was a series of horizontal bars and the headlights were set into the fenders. For 1951 and 1952, the headlights were connected by a wide aerodynamic cross-piece with three similarly aerodynamic supports. The rear window was wider in the later trucks and the dashboard was redesigned.