Details – Harley Davidson
This continues our series from Chicano Park in San Diego. Here, the Bike’s owner, Travis, wanted us to pay attention to the intricate metal work on the gas tank. You can clearly see the grinder work which was meant to resemble flames. What a gorgeous job! The polished chrome and dark shadows under the bridge to Coronado helped to bring this detail to life! We were planning another photo session there, with perhaps some more intricate lighting setups, but decided not to after our encounter with a Local Gang.
The area was originally known as the East End, but was renamed Logan Heights in 1905. The first Mexican settlers there arrived in the 1890s, followed soon after by refugees fleeing the violence of the Mexican revolution, which began in 1910. So many Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans settled there that the southern portion of Logan Heights eventually became known as Barrio Logan.
The original neighborhood reached all the way to San Diego Bay, with waterfront access for the residents. This access was denied beginning with World War II, when Naval installations blocked local access to the beach. The denial of beachfront access was the initial source of the community’s resentment of the government and its agencies.
This resentment grew in the 1950s, when the area was rezoned as mixed residential and industrial. Junk dealers and repair shops moved into the Barrio, creating air pollution, loud noise, and aesthetic conditions unsuitable for a residential area. Resentment continued to grow as the barrio was cleaved in two by Interstate 5 in 1963 and was further divided in 1969 by the elevated on ramps of the San Diego Coronado Bridge.